Getting a virus on your system is frustrating to say the least, and can be hazardous to the health of your computer. Indeed, today’s malicious software can even steal your identity and wreck your hard-earned credit rating. To help fight back, here’s a list of free tools, tips, and tricks to get rid of viruses and keep them from getting back on your system.
Free Virus Removal Tools
Sure the antivirus vendors want to make money, but if you ever get the chance to meet one of their virus researchers, you’ll find their real motivation is to protect users.
As corny as that may sound, it’s true. That’s why when stubborn or fast-spreading infectors are discovered, antivirus vendors release special tools to remove the malware – and give the tools away free. It’s no substitute for installed antivirus software, but if you’re already infected and in a pinch, it’s the next best thing to, well, installed antivirus software.
- Create a free rescue CD – a rescue CD lets you access the system from a clean boot. A few vendors provide these free of charge and it takes only a few minutes to create one, so there’s no excuse not to have one on hand.
- McAfee AVERT Stinger – McAfee AVERT Labs offers a handy utility to run in Windows that cleans some of the more common malware.
- Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool – Microsoft offers a free tool to remove prevalent software active on the system. The tool is offered via Automatic Updates, Windows Updates, and Microsoft Updates, or it can be manually downloaded using the provided link.
- Symantec Virus Removal Tools – Antivirus vendor Symantec offers a wide range of free cleaning tools for individual malware removal.
- F-Secure Virus Removal Tools – Another good choice for individual malware removal are these free tools from F-Secure.
- For a second opinion scan or a not-so-stubborn infector, try one of the Top Online Scanners
Free Virus Repair and Prevention Tips
- How to Repair a Boot Sector Virus – Though boot sector viruses are rare in the U.S. and most European countries, they are still prevalent in other parts of the world.
- Make an Antivirus Rescue CD – In case you missed it above, free downloadable rescue CDs.
- Eight Ways to Stop Virus Infection – Prevention. Prevention. Prevention. These are the essential steps.
- How to Make Sure Your Antivirus is Working – Viruses, worms, and trojans often disable your antivirus software when they infect your system. This prevents the antivirus software from being updated and detecting the presence of the malware. Here’s how to check to ensure it’s working.
- How to Avoid Macro Viruses – From the SANS Institute, provides tips on avoiding macro viruses.
- How To Prevent Email Worms – Security configuration changes you need to make to your favorite email client software.
- IM Safety Tips – In some crowds, instant messaging (IM) is more popular than email. But IM carries its own set of risks. These tips will help reduce the risk.Free Antivirus SoftwareThere’s no such thing as a free ride, or is there? If you’re an experienced user and don’t mind putting in a little elbow grease, you can build your own security suite: